One of the oldest parts of Kolkata, Kidderpore has many legends associated with its name. Some attribute it to Khizr / Khidr being the guardian saint of the seas to the fishing communities of Bengal.
Another theory points out that the port probably got its name from Lord Kyde, a 19th-century engineer who designed and supervised the building of the lock gate that connects the nearby port to the Hoogly River.
Containers of all kinds and ships of various sizes can be seen in and around the docks area. This area is surrounded by many industries and factories including the Garden Reach Shipbuilders, which was founded in 1884 and is one of India's leading shipyards. The famed swing bridge and drawbridge here have withstood over a century of turning and opening to allow passage of big ships.
To honour the nearly 35000 Indian indentured workers who had migrated to Suriname, an aluminium statue of a plainly-dressed couple carrying a potli which symbolizes the first Indian man and woman to set foot on Suriname was set up as a memorial at one of the ghats. Walking along the river here it is common to see young boys playing cricket or flying kites. Many of them are also being trained in Rugby by Jungle Crows, an NGO that works on youth development through sports.
Thank you to the following people & organisations who helped create this scroll: